Is it Time for Gutter Replacement?
Regular inspection of both the interior and exterior of your home is important for all homeowners to conduct. So many minor issues can go wrong, but if caught early enough, the repairs are generally simple and affordable. Left to grow, however, and you’re looking at potentially major damages and expenses to repair.
The gutters on your home are one of the most important pieces of the exterior. The gutters prevent debris, dirt, leaves, etc. from falling onto the roof and causing it damage, as well as prevent rainwater from damaging the foundation of the home. It is imperative that you check the gutters on a regular basis because if they’re not function properly, serious problems can result. The last thing that you want is roof damage or a foundation that has been damaged.
Signs that you may need to replace the gutters at your home include:
- Peeling Paint: Paint that is starting to peel is doing so because of moisture build-up. Exterior paint is made to be water resistant, so when you see paint peeling, you know that attention is needed to stop a problem.
- Cracks/ Chips: If you notice that your gutters are cracked or chipped, phone the home improvement company immediately. Cracked or chipped gutters also indicate that there is a problem. While small cracks might not be a considerable worry now, this isn’t true weeks or months down the road, when those cracks can be major news.
- Sagging: Are your gutters sagging? If so, it is time to think about replacement. Sagging gutters causes an interruption in the flow of the water coming down and may cause pooling to occur. This standing water may cause damage to both the roof and the walls of your home.
- Interior Flooding: Basement flooding is no laughing matter. And when it happens, it is oftentimes the result of excessive water leaking into the home through the basement due to damaged gutters. Water should be directed away from the home, so if, upon inspection, you notice this isn’t happening, it is time to phone and expert and get them replaced as soon as possible.
- Landscape Damages: Another sign that there is a potential problem with the gutters: There are issues with the landscaping. Issues that you might encounter include grass growing in the driveway or gutters that drain in your garden bed.
While it is difficult to imagine that anything so small could be so important, but the gutters on your home definitely serve a big purpose. It is important that you’re regularly examining the gutters to ensure that they are working as they should, especially the older they get. Simply keeping a watchful eye on your gutters can prevent headache, hassle, damage, and a great deal of expense. If you are unsure of your abilities to check the gutters, go ahead and make an appointment with a professional. This is not a step to forget!